History St James

The Church of St. James the Great, Woodhall was consecrated on the 6th June 1959 by Bishop Donald Coggan.

The church succeeded two previous churches, both mission churches of St Lawrence, Pudsey. Both of these churches were situated in the Waterloo area of Pudsey. 

The first of the mission churches was titled St James, Waterloo Mission, and stood from 1885 to 1915 at the bottom of Cromack View.

The second of the mission churches was St James Church Woodhall with Waterloo, which stood from 1915 to 1959 a little further on Waterloo Road.

The area covered by Woodhall and Waterloo was formed into a 'conventional district' in 1939, as the forerunner of the Parish.

The third and present church was built on land at Galloway Lane, already owned by the Diocese of Bradford and the conventional district became the independent Parish of Woodhall with its own Vicar.  In 2017 this was renamed Woodhall and Waterloo in order to be geographically more inclusive.

The Church of St. James the Great, Woodhall was consecrated on the 6th June 1959 by Bishop Donald Coggan.

The church was designed in the contemporary style of the 1950's by the Bradford architect's Barker and Jordan. It was built of brick with extensive glazing by W. J. Kendall & Co of Pudsey.

It reflects its historical roots by incorporating stones brought from Bradford Cathedral and Kirkstall Abbey.

A church hall was added in the early 1970's and built by Wood Brothers of Pudsey. St James the Great  serves a parish of approximately 6,000 persons, stretching from Waterloo in the South to Woodhall Hills in the North, from Leeds Ring Road at Dawson's Corner in the East to just short of the Bradford boundary at Thornbury in the West.

—————————————————————————————